SFMC is a full-service medical, behavioral health, and dental clinic facility that meets the primary healthcare needs of area residents. When we ask our patients why they have chosen us as their healthcare provider, many tell us they first came here because we were a lot closer than the hospital or doctors' offices in town. But the reason they stay with us, we're told, is because of the exceptional care and personal service we offer.
We like to think of ourselves as an old-fashioned doctor's office, where we know and really care about each of our patients. We're an independent facility, so we do whatever's needed to provide thorough, high-quality care. Unlike many modern HMO's, we're not under pressure to move patients through our doors like parts on an assembly line and subject to the whims of absentee owners.
One important aspect of our work is to ensure to the best of our abilities that all residents in our area, regardless of income, have access to healthcare. In this way, we are truly a community clinic, helping our neighbors for whom the long drive to town or the high cost of healthcare might prove to be daunting barriers to medical services. This aspect of our work is subsidized by donations from the community, by federal, state and private grants, and by our staff itself, who have chosen to help meet the health needs of a rural community rather than seek the higher salaries they might receive in another setting.
The Clinic Staff and Board of Directors actively strive to meet this goal.
Our activities include the following:
- Medical Director, Dr. Peter Van Houten, conducts extensive outreach activities in the community and nationwide. He serves on boards of directors and provides counsel for health related organizations, speaks at health conferences, writes articles for health publications, and leads collaborative efforts between three community health centers.
- The clinic's staff keeps up-to-date with professional news by regularly attending seminars, meetings and training sessions and by following research published in health journals.
- The clinic regularly applies for federal, state and private grants to help support and improve the services we offer.
- The clinic conducts two fund-raising appeals a year to support our annual fund. This means we are able to give even better health care to those who need it! Donations from individuals in our community are vital to our mission. Potential granting agencies want to see that we have strong support from patients who donate on an individual basis. Even if you give $1, that increases our number of donors and our chances of receiving grants. Please consider a gift to the annual appeal if you haven't already given this year. Even one gift of $1 dollar can make a difference!
- 1982 - Clinic founded by Dr. Peter Van Houten. He has been the Medical Director since the beginning.
- 1994 - Achieved non-profit status with a board of directors selected from the community.
- 1997 - Built the current medical clinic facility which dramatically increased the clinic's capacity.
- 2001 - Became a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). We offer health care to people of all economic levels, charging a sliding scale for patients with limited resources.
- 2002 - Added behavioral health services.
- 2004 - Opened a dental clinic with two dentists and a hygenist.